Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What I'm Learning

A couple of days ago I was talking with my friend Lisa about how "normal" being in Mexico has become. (Note: Not that life has become any less exciting; it's just that Guanajuato has now adopted us, and it feels like we belong here.) For example, for both of us it is completely natural to speak Spanish all day long, many days without speaking a word of our native languages. We don't speak perfectly by any means, but it's passable :) It's kind of a feeling of "Of course we speak Spanish...what else would we speak?"

Because of this integration of the language, I'm now learning a lot more than just Spanish (although I'm still working on my Spanish everyday). It's become more of the context than the actual object of study.

-I'm playing in the school orchestra this semester and rehearsals are, of course, completely in Spanish. (Although I think I will always and forever count music in English...)
-I have German class four days a week. I love it, and the hour and 15 minutes fly by every day. Since we're all just beginners 95% of the class is explaining in Spanish. It's so cool to learn a foreign language through another foreign language :)
-My friend Coleman began to teach me some guitar this past month. I can play the song "Wagon Wheel" (but not very well yet).
-I'm training with two of my friends to hopefully run a half marathon in June before the semester ends here. So I've also been running quite a bit...and the entire time we run, we have conversations in Spanish!

It's so exciting to learn new things and be involved in all sorts of things all within the context of Mexico and Spanish. I think I've discovered that I really just like to learn. Life is so much more interesting when you're constantly thinking about things in a new way. It's like the saying that goes, "The more you learn, the more you realize how little you actuallly know." The more I find out about things in this world, the more I want to learn...it's a never-ending process.

Other note: Today marks exactly seven months in Mexico. Could time PLEASE slow down?! :(

No comments: