Tuesday, August 4, 2009

School Starts Early in Mexico

Classes started at Universidad de Guanajuato yesterday which is kind of crazy because everyone else I know is still on summer vacation (I'm jealous). I was excited about starting, though, because it is going to be nice to have some sort of schedule to appease my Type A personality.

Yesterday I was supposed to go to Historia de Mexico at 9am. My roommate, Lisa, was going to the same class so we got up, ate breakfast, and got to the bus stop at around 8:25 thinking that we had left plenty of time to ride up to Valenciana where the school is. One bus for Valenciana passed by but it was JAM PACKED full of people and there was no possible way we were going to get on. We waited for another one until 8:55 when we decided to just take a taxi. We got to the school five minutes late and had to run around trying to find the classroom. Thankfully, by the time we got there the professor still hadn't arrived so we sat with some other exchange students to wait. We waited and waited and finally one of the Mexican students went to see what was going on; when he came back he said that the professor wasn't coming. So, needless to say, my first day of classes was not my first day after all. I saw the humor in it all and couldn't stop laughing to myself all morning!

Today I had a phonetics class at 12. All the students are Mexican except me and another exchange student (also from the US) but the professor seems to be very nice and I think I'm going to learn a lot...although it will be a lot of work. The class was two hours and it was hard for me to focus on someone speaking Spanish for so long because I have to work really hard to understand (and the professor spoke really quickly).

Right now I'm sitting in my room trying to pass the time. It's taken me coming to Mexico to realize how much of a people person I am. I HATE being by myself and not having anybody to talk to. We were definitely made for community and all this free time I spend by myself makes me realize how much I need to find community here in Mexico. I trust that I'll find it eventually but I'm hoping that it comes sooner rather than later.

No comments: