Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"This Gives Me Jokes"

Disclaimer: This post is about nothing serious but is only for the entertainment of Katie Toms.

I've never considered myself to have a strong accent but, since being in Mexico, I've heard from lots of people that I speak Spanish with a very American accent. My roommate Laura from Argentina finds my accent especially funny and one day she was trying to copy it and she kept lengthening the vowels at the end of the words so they seemed to have more than one syllable. For example, "o-o-o-o" instead of "o." I've also met a couple of exchange students from the United States who are from places like Chicago and Wisconsin. They definitely speak differently than I do and our different accents are evident when speaking Spanish. All this to say, that it appears that I might have more of a Southern accent than I thought :(

In other news, today I went to a class called Cine y literatura and the professor talked about sequencing plot lines and how the way in which the story is told is one of the most important elements of capturing an audience's attention. He then said, "You know those people that have lots of interesting things happen to them but, since they can't tell a story properly, they seem to be the most boring people in the world?" He didn't go on to say how this problem could be fixed, however, so I guess I'm still stuck in that category.

2 comments:

katiemt said...

VERONICA ALLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first of all, there is about .05% of you that is southern, and NONE of it is coming out of your mouth, i PROMISE! ;) stop worrying. you dont have a southern accent.

and second of all, even though you may in fact be the world's worst storyteller, you arent boring.

thirdly I MISS YOU and thanks for one big long blog all about me. i love youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

David Payne said...

I agree, you don't have much of a southern accent. You do, however have an "American" accent in Spanish. That will get better in Mexico.

Keep the blog up. I like your stories. :)