Monday, April 19, 2010

I think it's interesting to see how life turns out. One of my deepest fears, out of a couple, is being bored in life. Not the temporary boredom of "there's nothing to do right now," but the boredom of thinking that life holds no surprises and adventures. The thought of doing the same thing day in and day out just because I need to pay bills terrifies me. I sincerely pray that I will find meaning and purpose in what I do.

With that in mind, I was talking the other day on Skype with a good friend about what people's plans are for the upcoming year. They sound pretty exciting. People are going abroad to Europe/Asia/Africa, moving to go to grad school, etc. And as for me? I will be going back to UNCG for my last year of undergrad and then will be teaching four years in NC (assuming that I will find a job...). It all sounds kind of anticlimactic in comparison.

Depending on when you ask me and what type of mood I'm in, I can be pretty frustrated at this "lack of options." It seems that my life is just beginning like I want it to be, and the idea that I can't take advantages of the more "exciting" options feels restricting at times. But then I also have to be honest and admit that there will be lots of adventures in the next 5 years. I will be completely in charge of an elementary string program in the fall, student teaching in the spring, and then four years of working with middle or high school students (hopefully). I listen to stories of my friends who are currently teaching in public schools and I can't say that their days are boring...to the contrary, there is ALWAYS something going on. When I get past the feeling of being confined and restricted by these 5 upcoming years, I really do know that teaching in NC WILL be an adventure in and of itself, and I know I will learn and grow a lot during that time.

And after that time? Well, there's still lots of life left and lots of options...Fulbright? Grad school? Teach in another country? Learn another language? Learn how to organic farm? Have a family? Own a used bookstore? Move to another state? Become an ex-pat? Be a translator? Work for a non-profit?

At least life won't be boring.

No comments: