Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A little of this and a little of that

I apologize in advance for the choppiness of this blog...I have a lot to catch up on :)

So, I had two weeks of Spring Break which is definitely awesome, but it's a really long time and it was hard for me to remember at the end of it that I'm really a student (although I think some people still doubt it, I DO go to class and do my homework).

The first week I traveled to San Luis Potosi and Zacatecas. I was by myself which was kind of weird at first (more and more I'm realizing my need to be around people) but definitely an adventure. I visited Luis and Arturo in SLP which was so cool. Three years later and friendships can still be maintained, and it gives me hope that I'll keep in contact with the people I've met here in Mexico as well!

In Zacatecas (which is kind of like a Guanajuato although definitely not as pretty) I toured a mine, climbed a bufa (see picture), and went to several free concerts since they were having their cultural festival (kind of like the Cervantino). This was the part where I definitely missed having Lisa and Shannon, my normal traveling companions, around but it was also cool to be forced to meet new people and rely completely on myself for things.

Then, Mom and Dad came to visit! It was kind of strange to have them here since it was the first time my US life and my Mexico life crossed, but I loved being able to show them around and introduce them to my friends. It was interesting for me (and hopefully for them as well) to see how self-sufficient I can be in this environment and for me to be the one who had to navigate/manage everything. I do think, however, that my translating skills could be improved quite a bit...
(Thanks again for coming Mom and Dad! I really did love having you here!)


So, after four cities, tons of new experiences, and doing lots of tourist-y things, I had the rude return of having to return to school and homework and such. This past weekend I wrote two papers (one a midterm exam) in three days. I think this speaks quite well of my Spanish, although maybe not too well of my self-discipline in not procrastinating. Ugh.

It is now 100% official that I am going to run a half-marathon. I've already registered and paid my inscription fee. I AM SO EXCITED!!!

Also, it is April 13th. This day (luckily it's not a Friday) signifies several things. First, it's Garret's birthday. Garret, I don't know if you read this, but, if you do...HAPPY 20th BIRTHDAY LITTLE BROTHER!! On a sadder note, this marks exactly two months until I have to leave Guanajuato and Mexico. I don't know how I'm going to cope...

No comments: