Thursday, May 13, 2010

Waging War

Recently (maybe because of the almost-unbearable heat) cockroaches have been somewhat invading my bathroom. During the day, I never see them, but I'm always a little cautious entering at night because you never know exactly what you'll find. I've taken to closing the bathroom window at night, but that doesn't deter them much.

The positive side in all of this is that I have yet to kill one myself. I can be kind of a wimp when it comes to cockroaches (read: disgusted and unable to do anything) so I always call Octavio or Arturo to come help me. And it's not like these cockroaches are small and harmless. The Mexican variety is enormous and ugly. And, I keep thinking that cockroaches are the only species to survive nuclear bombs...and that's completely revolting.

Anyway, last night I entered my bathroom only to find a visitor (really big) on the floor by my shower. I immediately called Octavio who came to look for it and end its miserable life. He saw it, but somehow it disappeared and neither Octavio nor I could find it as much as we looked. Cockroaches are fast.

I don't have any pictures to prove to you all that I am not exaggerating since I kind of freeze up when I see them, but believe me. It is not a joke.

Today is May 13th. I will be back in North Carolina for the first time in 10.5 months on June 13th. If you had asked me yesterday, I would have said that I'm ready to go back. Today I'm not so convinced.

No comments: