Monday, May 31, 2010

Because nobody wants to read about me writing my finals

This has nothing to do with what is currently going on in Mexico, but I thought it would be good to play some catch-up!

So, as a lot of people know, I have never had a pet. Leaving aside all sorts of arguments like something vital and essential was missing from my childhood, I have enjoyed having my adopted pets here in Mexico. The family I live with has a dog (Manchas) and three cats. Now, I have never considered myself a cat person, but Rita, the oldest of the cats and the only one who stays inside, and I have become good friends over the past year and she often keeps me company by sleeping at the foot of my bed at night.

One day wayyyyy back last semester I got back to the house one night and was informed that Rita had been taken to the vet for emergency surgery. Arturo had gotten back to the house and found her wounded and bleeding from her leg. Somebody had shot her when she had been wandering outside and there was a bullet still lodged within her!! Poor Rita had to have two surgeries: one to remove the bullet from her stomach and the other to sew up her leg. Thankfully she recovered fully and continues to shed hair all over my bed and my clothes...

This semester Chilipa (the youngest of the cats) was wandering around in the house and I mentioned to Octavio that she looked like she was getting fatter. Turns out she was pregnant and had four little kittens in the patio out back. They were soooo cute and I really enjoyed going out and playing with them after I got back from my morning classes. Unfortunately, we didn't keep them and Octavio found other homes for them as soon as they could eat by themselves. But, to make the signs he posted around, he did borrow my camera to take photos!
Cute, huh? Maybe my own pet won't be too far in the future!!

1 comment:

Emerly Sue said...

cats are the way to go.