Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Culture Shock

Recently, I've actually felt like I'm a college student; I've had lots to do the past week (which comes at a horrible time since it's still the Cervantino). For example, tomorrow morning I have to turn in a six page paper about auditory phonetics; if I don't have it ready to turn in, I can't take my phonetics exam in the morning. Of course, I procrastinated like any good college kid and stayed up until 3 am this morning working on it, which is a bit harder to accomplish in Spanish. I got most of it done and went to bed only lacking a conclusion which I was going to write this afternoon.

When I got to school this morning I was talking with some classmates and realized that I had formatted the paper wrong: instead of double-spaced the paper had to be single spaced. WHO IN THE WORLD FORMATS A PAPER WITH SINGLE SPACING?? THAT IS AGAINST EVERYTHING I HAVE EVER LEARNED ABOUT PAPER-WRITING!! As you can imagine, I was not too thrilled because I had six pages double-spaced. So this afternoon was spent doing even more research and stressing about trying to fill six single-spaced pages with information about auditory phonetics in Spanish. I got it done, but it's definitely not the most impressive paper I've ever written.

I realize that I am judging this from my background in schools in the States and that it's a horrible attitude to have. And actually, right now I've pretty much gotten over it. It just didn't make it a really great day.

P.S. On top of it all, my Spanish grammar was a disaster today. I'm NEVER going to master this language.

No comments: