Monday, October 19, 2009

Meeting the Family

Yesterday I went with Eloisa to the weekly family gathering at her parents' house. It was my first time meeting the whole family (and it wasn't even everybody). You are free at this point to think of a rather stereotypical Mexican family gathering with TONS of food, lots of people talking all at once, and (of course) tequila since Eloisa's father is a fan. Eloisa is one of 11 children who are all grown and have their own children, etc. 11 CHILDREN!! I can't even begin to imagine it. Needless to say, yesterday's meal did not even compare to my family all gathered for Thanksgiving/Christmas/etc. Yesterday we were at least 15, probably more as people came and went. No wonder Eloisa thought it was strange that I only have 2 cousins. I'm proud to say that my Spanish held up pretty well and I understood way more than I thought I would. Her family is really interesting; I talked with one of her sisters whose daughter is engaged to an American and another sister who is a professor of piano in the university's school of music.

Yesterday also happened to be Eloisa's birthday which I didn't know about until the cake was brought out and everybody started singing. Today after class I went downtown to find her a little something as a present. I actually had a great time going in all the stores and looking at the jewelry, clothing, and artesanias. I gave her the gift at lunch today and it made me so happy that I could give something to Eloisa since she's done so much for me since I came to Mexico. I feel more and more everyday part of the family.

No comments: