Monday, December 28, 2009

An Adventure I Didn't Really Want to Have

So, the coolest thing about traveling is having adventures. Already I've met so many interesting people, seen so many different aspects of Mexican culture and scenery, learned tons of new Spanish words, and, of course, made an idiot out of myself a couple of times...(what else is new)

I have, however, had one adventure that wasn't so much fun: getting robbed. I think this is the first time I've ever been robbed. It happened on the bus from Palenque to Mérida. We traveled 8 hours overnight, and, of course, I slept the whole way. I had put my purse in my bookbag, but, at some point, one of the other passengers must have taken it without me hearing everything. I lost my wallet with every single identification I have, my cell phones, my toothbrush and toothpaste, AND my camera. I think I'm most upset about the loss of my camera because there were some AWESOME pictures.

Actually, I was surprisingly calm when I found out that it was gone. I left a description of my bag with the bus company and the number of one of my friends. I do, however, still have my passport, visa, and bank cards...so things could have been worse.

This is not something that could have happened in whatever situation in whatever country. It's just bad luck that it's all more complicated because I'm in Mexico and traveling. I do, however, have some great family and friends who are helping me with everything from sending me new stuff to letting me send texts to the US from their phones...not cheap. And I do hope that the thief at least spent something worthwhile with the money in my wallet and that he has some good laughs looking through my photos (because I would if I still had my camera).

This means that I'll have fewer photos of this trip than I hoped, which in turn means that you'll have to invite me out for coffee or lunch or something when I get back so I can relate all the rest of my adventures to you in person!!

2 comments:

Emerly Sue said...

I invite you to live with me.

Unknown said...

When I got robbed and they took my camera I was more upset about the pictures than anything else too. Other than that, I wasn't too upset. It's weird how that works huh? I guess the material isn't quite so important after all, that the most important loss was memories.