Friday, September 11, 2009

Dear Mexico,

I realize that as a white female from the United States I should expect some questions/differences, but, since I've been here a month and a half, I think it's time to clear some things up.

First, it is absolutely not necessary for you to whistle/yell/comment from your car about me. I appreciate the compliment but I'd rather not feel everyone's eyes on me as I walk down the sidewalk or get on the bus. Along with that, I don't particularly want to talk to you if you're going to come up to me, ask my name, verify that I'm not from Mexico, and then ask me out for drinks. Thanks, but no thanks.

Second, I understand that it's sometimes frustrating to have to repeat yourself, but I promise you that I speak enough Spanish to get by. If I don't understand something the first time it is not necessary for you to try to say it in English (especially if your English is worse than my Spanish). I am in your country and want to speak Spanish; chances are I just need to hear the question a second time to process it.

Finally, yes, I am an American but that doesn't mean that I personally know President Obama nor am I an expert on the policies of the US government. I don't know much of anything about the immigration policy or what steps are necessary to get into the US. And, yes, I was around when Bush was President (but I couldn't even vote). I might be one of the least politically-inclined people I know so I'm definitely not the person to ask about these things.

Other than that, things are going fine and I'm having a great time.
Thanks,
Veronica

1 comment:

David Payne said...

Other than the cat calls part, that all sounds so wonderfully familiar. Jaja.