Monday, September 14, 2009

Sometimes I Don't Know What to Think

This past weekend I had the chance to talk to several people in the US (good) but, unfortunately, that meant quite a bit of speaking in English (bad). While it was good to talk to everybody, it triggered memories of the past three years. I love Mexico and I've gotten over being homesick but there are random moments when I remember specific things that I miss.

Here's a list (of course):

-NC fall. The leaves on the trees here don't change colors and I'm going to miss walking around campus looking at all of the beautiful trees.

-Glenwood Tutoring. Today's the first day of tutoring for the year and I can't believe that I'm going to miss out on picking up Jason and Jessica and playing knockout every single Tuesday.

-Wreaking Havoc. I was talking with Katie today about all of our past antics in the I House and public places throughout Greensboro (namely, Steak and Shake) and I miss being able to make a spectacle of myself.

-Barnes and Noble. There's not an equivalent in Guanajuato that compares with walking in an entire store devoted to books, music, and coffee. What a brilliant combination.

-UNCG. It's sometimes hard to know that life goes on in Greensboro, even when I'm not there. I miss the I House, Tate St. Coffee, and even the School of Music.

-My family. It seems kind of obvious, but I haven't experienced homesickness since I was probably 7 and so I've realized the past two months how much I appreciate them.

I realize that this post sounds like I'm miserable and want to go home right this second. That is not all the case, so, to balance the tone, I'm going to list some things I DON'T miss.

-My car. I can honestly say that I haven't missed driving once. (Just another sign that I'm meant to live in a city with lots of public transportation!)

-My schedule. It's amazing how I can sit here in a cafe for hours talking with a friend and not have to look at my watch and think about how I have to be somewhere else or do work or something. It's such a great way to live!

-American food. With the exception of all the white bread I eat, I love the food here. And since my host family is pretty health-conscious, I eat lots of Mexican fruits and vegetables which are great!

-English. This is somewhat surprising because when I first got here I would have given anything to speak in English. Now, however, I've really fallen in love with the Spanish language and it irritates me to speak in English with people in Mexico (whether they're Americans or not).

I'm realizing that I've adapted pretty well, I feel, to living in Mexico but, at the end of it all, I'm also American. I think that my life and heart is divided between the two countries.

2 comments:

David Payne said...

Here, here! So, I am hoping to be in Mexico early January... will you be there then?

Lydia said...

I miss YOU!