Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Back in North Carolina

Well, I am back in the States, speaking English, sitting in air conditioning, etc. It's kind of weird.

Actually, reverse culture shock hasn't been too overwhelming yet (I'm still waiting for the big shock), but there have been little things that really get to me.

First, traveling back was kind of a nightmare. I had gone to a goodbye party the night before leaving Guanajuato, so I had slept maybe 5 hours before beginning the journey. In Leon, my flight was delayed two times so it left over two hours later than originally scheduled. Waiting to get on the same plane were 4 other Americans (who spoke English really loudly) who complained to the room in general the WHOLE time. And they were really rude about the inconvenience. It irritated me a lot, and I didn't have any desire to associate myself with them. Then, in customs in Houston, the line was reallyyyyyyy long and I waited over an hour (with my backpack that was about half my body weight) to see an immigration officer. During this hour there was a couple in front of me and a group of people behind me who complained the entire time about the inefficency of it all and threatened to write nasty letters to the airport, the government, their senator, Obama, etc. I could not believe how ridiculous it was for them to get so worked up about such a comparatively small thing.

I know I'm not being very understanding or gracious, but it was just such a disappointing way to come back to be around my own countrymen.

Currently, I'm trying to:
-not suffocate from the intense humidity
-not freeze from air conditioning
-not forget all my Spanish (I'm already scared about this)
-not be bored out of my mind from sitting at home...I have to find something to do/someone to visit

Although it's nice to be back, I still do miss Guanajuato.

5 comments:

Katie said...

You can come to Huntersville anytime!!!!!!

WELCOME BACK!!!!

Emerly Sue said...

welcome! i'm in greensboro and would love to see you when you feel up to it!

Unknown said...

hola verito! como estas?
solo paso a saludarte, espero que te encuentres muy bien niña. donde quiera que estes.
saludos!
Luis

Tess said...

Querida Veronica... ya terminé tu aventura... yo sé como te sientes, reconozco lo que explicas sobre las personas de tu país... lo mismo pasó a mi... al regresar me sentí casi como una extranjera en mi propio país... noté cosas que nunca había notado antes... bueno ya sabes.... Lo que sí sé es que no vayas a olvidar el español, tal vez de cuestaría un poco más hablarlo después de un tiempo pero siempre estará dentro de ti! De todos modos espero que estés bien, suerte en lo del futuro!

/Tess

David Payne said...

Si tengas miedo de olvidar espanol ya sabes lo que tienes que haver, no? Pues hang out conmigo y con Angie y hablamos espanol para que nadie lo pierda nada. Venga pa' aca. Espero que podemos ir a Hanging Rock prontito Vero. Cuidate hasta que nos vemos.

Ciao