Monday, June 7, 2010

Coming Around Full Circle

The most common question nowadays: Como te sientes? (How do you feel?)

This question refers to me leaving in exactly 1 WEEK after having lived here in Mexico since July. Wow.

It's hard to answer, but I say that I'm okay with going home on June 13th. On the other hand, I would also be okay going home in another two months. I'm accepting the return date because that's what it is; my plane ticket won't change.

With that in mind, it's been strange how I've been coping with the prospect of going home. Living here in Guanajuato has become normal life for me after so much time here, but, recently, I've noticed that I'm experiencing Guanajuato more like I did at the beginning of the year. I notice when cowboys ride their horses up my street, I sit in the Jardin and people-watch a lot more, and I'm going out more with friends since it's the time of despedidas (goodbyes). It's like I'm becoming more and more an observer and less a participator as I get ready to go back to NC.

Although I think that the transition back will be pretty rough (apologies in advance for probably acting like a jerk), I have been thinking about things that will happen when I'm back. Some things I can't wait to be the same, but I'm also hoping to incorporate things that I have picked up here in Mexico. Such as: running a lot more, riding my bike and walking instead of driving as much, drinking tea without sugar, eating fresh fruit every single day, and, of course, speaking as much Spanish as possible :)

I don't know how I've changed this year in Mexico (although I'm sure I have), but I know I will have to re-adjust. On the other hand, I am also sure that there are lots more exciting adventures to come in the next couple of years. (Be prepared Dad, I've already got lots of crazy plans to go over with you!! Haha.)

No comments: