Saturday, June 12, 2010

Futbol Fever

Yesterday was the beginning of the World Cup (soccer). Like any other American, I knew/know extremely little about the world leagues of soccer...actually, probably even less than the average American.

However, yesterday the inaugural game was Mexico vs. South Africa. Of course, being in Mexico, it was almost like a requirement to watch the game. So, I dutifully woke up really early and walked the 30 minutes downtown to eat breakfast in the Jardin with Jenny and Mark and watch the game in the restaurant.

I actually really enjoyed it. Not only was I eating my favorite breakfast food (chilaquiles), but EVERYONE was completely focused on the game, wearing their Mexico team jerseys, and enjoying the atmosphere. In those couple of hours everyone was on the same side, cheering for the same team. There was a sense of unity and camraderie that I've never felt in the States (mostly because the Super Bowl invokes some intense rivalries). And you wouldn't believe the excitement when Mexico scored and the tenseness when it looked for a while like South Africa would win. I couldn't help being caught up in the collective emotion.

So, it looks like I will be following the World Cup in the States as well (but maybe cheering for Mexico)!!

P.S. Soccer players will always be hot. Period.

2 comments:

katiemt said...

EMPHATICALLY AGREE!!!!!

Emerly Sue said...

soccer players are hot. win!